Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Dirty Little Secret #48

I feel cheated.



That's my dad. I rarely called him that - he was always Daddy. Although after Lizzy was born, he became Grandpa. He loved the sound of that word, and even though he only 52 when she was born, he was the consummate grandpa. Still in the process of archiving, I found this clip yesterday. Taken in late August, 2002, at the annual Art Show in Orleans, MA, an 8 month old Lizzy is in that stroller.

I know that between my sister and I, it may seem like we beat a dead horse.

Yep, that's my dad.
Yep, he's dead.
Yep, that sucks real bad.


But he was the most alive person I ever knew. In these video clips, you almost hear him laugh. Before playing these for the first time yesterday, I hadn't heard his laughter in almost three years.



My son, only two months and three weeks when his grandfather died, never heard that sweet sound.


This photograph was taken the day Teddy was born. In it, Daddy is promising Teddy that he will teach him to fish.



But he won't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Orleans to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane