Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Dirty Little Secret #111

Race mattered to me in this election.

While clearly I vote for the Democratic ticket for many, many other reasons, I was excited to have the opportunity to vote for a person who did not look like me. I was chastised for this by a few. One friend belittled my assertion that it mattered by accusing me of falling victim to "heartbreak drama politics."

But I told her that I was voting for my children - my very white children, mind you. I want them to grow up in a world different from that in which I was raised. I want a physical, undeniable symbol that anything is possible for anyone.

I'm taking note that some are refusing to acknowledge this as historic. Whether or not you voted for McCain or "Other," this is a new world. What happens to your taxes, your war, your capital gains: it doesn't matter today. Let's get back to politics tomorrow.

Tomorrow, let's start working together to reform our government. To end the war responsibly. To bring all people to the table. To cut out pork. To fix our broken schools. To help women and men make healthy and responsible reproductive choices before, not after, the fact. To end violence in our cities. To spend our personal and collective wealth responsibly. To restore the world's confidence in our great nation. To acknowledge that none of us exist in a vacuum.

But today? Today it's all about this:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“I was in the garden when Jack aged 18 came up to me and asked me if I wanted a glass of orange juice”